Get ready to commemorate pet ownership and remind people that there are millions of dogs in shelters and rescues waiting for a home. That’s right, Sunday is National Dog Day. If you’re spending the holiday alone this year, consider stopping by your local animal shelter and give the gift of a second chance to a pet waiting for a forever home. Not only are you saving a dog’s life, you’re also opening up space for another pet to take its spot. Whatever furry friend you choose to spend the day with, BISSELL Pet Foundation wants to share some tips on how to make the day meaningful.
Here are 5 ways to celebrate National Dog Day:
- Post a cute selfie of you and your pup. If you can’t find one, make sure to find you and your pet’s best angle, so you can join the fun. Social media will be overflowing with cuteness today!
- Purchase a new chew toy that’ll make your dog’s tail wag. BPF has your back – shop dog toys, PJ’s, leashes and collars to pamper your pooch on this special day. Aside from the excitement on your pet’s face, we also think you’ll love that 100% of BPF merchandise sales go directly to funding our mission – ending pet homelessness one animal at a time. Find something for you and something for your 4-legged love here!
- Take your dog to a pet-friendly park. An exercised pet is a well-behaved pet. Let your pup enjoy more fresh air than usual by taking them to a dog park for some socialization with other pets. A healthy pet is far less likely to develop health issues as they age.
- Give the gift of a microchip. We believe all pets should be microchipped in addition to obtaining a license. A microchip helps pets reunite with their families if they ever run away. BPF is proud to provide funding for this simple and painless procedure which keeps pets out of shelters and in their loving homes.
- Show your pet more love than usual this Sunday. Because of you, your pet can live the life they deserve: happy, healthy and most importantly, in a home. There are thousands of pets euthanized every year due to overcrowding in shelters. Your pet is thankful to have you! Consider supporting shelter pets waiting for a forever home by donating to BISSELL Pet Foundation. With your help we can continue to fund adoption fees, vaccinations, spay/neuter, supplies, transports and other rescue efforts.