If pets are as near and dear to your heart as they are to ours, helping more homeless pets may be at the top of your New Year’s Resolution list. We often hear how many people want to make the most meaningful impact for homeless pets but aren’t sure where to start. Fortunately, there are many easy ways to make a difference for homeless pets in your community and beyond:
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter. Animal shelters cannot function without the support of volunteers. Whether you’re involved in cleaning or socializing, there is no shortage of critical tasks to benefit both the pets and the shelter staff. Volunteering is a flexible option and comes at no cost to you. Becoming an animal shelter volunteer may even offer some work experience to boost your resume, open doors to future job opportunities, and a chance to make new friends.
- Adopt a pet. If you want to add a pet to your life, please make adoption your only option. Your local shelter or rescue has pets of every breed, age and personality type waiting to find a loving home. Adoption saves two lives – the adopted pet and the one who takes their place in the shelter.
“Everyone should experience the love of a shelter pet at some point and see how they can change your life.”– Cathy Bissell, Founder of BISSELL Pet Foundation
- Foster a pet. Opening your heart and home to a foster pet creates critical space at your local animal shelter or rescue. Each pet you take into your care also frees up time and resources. Fostering a pet isn’t just a personally rewarding experience. Your foster pet will also get the chance to adapt to daily household routines, receive socialization to learn how to get along with other animals, and rest and recuperate from any medical issues. If you’re considering your budget, fostering is often completely free, with food, toys, and medical treatment provided.
- Start a fundraiser. Support your favorite shelter, rescue, or animal welfare nonprofit by creating a fundraiser! You can do this by planning an event, such as a race or a party, where proceeds benefit the organization dedicated to helping pets. Consider getting your workplace to raise money as a part of a larger giving initiative. Another simple option is to create a fundraiser via Facebook or Instagram. There are so many small ways you can get your connections and the community excited to support homeless pets.
- Use social media to spread the word. Staying engaged with BISSELL Pet Foundation and your local shelters and rescues on social media is an easy way to help homeless pets. Share posts about adoptable pets, donate to social media fundraisers, and spread the word about pet adoption by sharing uplifting stories! You never know who may see these posts and adopt, foster or donate.
- Shop to give back to pets. You can help homeless pets by purchasing merchandise from your favorite animal shelter or animal welfare organization’s shop. At BISSELL Pet Foundation, all profits from our merch sales help pets in need throughout the country. In addition, you’ll help spread the word about your favorite organization each time you wear your gear!
- Make a donation. Whether you make a one-time gift or establish monthly giving, donating to your local animal shelter or favorite animal welfare organization is a simple way to make an impact. Monetary donations are used to directly impact the lives of homeless pets by providing critical resources. At BISSELL Pet Foundation, 100% of your contribution directly impacts pets through our adoption events, spay/neuter services, vaccinations and transportation to areas where they can be adopted.
Be a hero for homeless pets this year! It’s a big goal to end pet homelessness. With your support, we know we can impact so many lives.